Muir proud of final glory bid but has doubts over result

Laura Muir has set her sights on Tokyo 2020 after she failed in a dramatic bid to snatch Gold in her first Olympics final.

The Scots 1500m star finished seventh in 4:12.88 minutes after a brave run where she attacked winner Kenya’s Faith Kipyegon and Ethiopian world record holder Genzebe Dibaba. Muir later tweeted “sometimes when you go for Gold you come away empty-handed.”

And, following controversy over the same race at London 2012 when six competitors were subsequently found guilty of doping, when asked her opinion on whether this year’s event was clean, Muir is reported to have said she “had her doubts”.

Silver medalist Dibiba also faced questions on her coach, Jama Aden, who was arrested in June as part of an anti-doping investigation but insisted she was “crystal clean” and vowed she would end their relationship if he is found guilty.

Muir, will now focus on improving on the fine form she has shown in recent months. She said:  “I’m really proud with how I ran and I couldn’t have done any more on the day, it just happened that the legs weren’t in it.

“I am really proud with how I executed the race in my first Olympics and seventh wasn’t quite what I wanted but it will do.

“I expected it to be slow so I stayed at the back at the start and made my way through and I was in perfect position for when Dibaba went for it and I followed her.

“It was exactly how I thought it would go and I was prepared for it and I was feeling really good but it just happened that those last 200m weren’t in the legs.

“I had a look on the board and I saw that the gap was closing but there isn’t much you can do really. You just have to run as hard as you can but unfortunately the finish line was a bit too far away.

“For a first Olympics to make the final in the way that I did and to perform as I did in that final I am really proud. It will take a few more years to get that strength but hopefully I can look toward Tokyo 2020.

“My aim was to go with whoever broke and stick with them and hopefully I could have the strength to overtake them at the end but that just didn’t happen. I wasn’t aiming for fifth or third, I was going for gold so I am a bit gutted.”

Teammate Laura Weightman finished 11th in 4:14.95 minutes. She said: “That was a completely different experience to London 2012 where I scraped into the final whereas here I felt like I ran well to get there.

“But I’m a little bit disappointed with that final. I felt like I should have been and could have been a little bit more competitive. I just couldn’t go with that change of pace when it happened.

“I expected it to kick on after 800m so I’d prepared for that. I found myself at the front which wasn’t exactly where I wanted to be but I had no choice to be there.

“I was forced into that position and I knew it was the safest place to be because if I was in the pack I would have risked getting spiked badly again and getting tripped and that’s not what I wanted. So I’m pleased that I put myself there but I just couldn’t react.”